Related Tags

Items tagged with:

Related Publishers

These publishers have published newsitems tagged with recycling:

Tags

Conservation / Recycling

Recycling related newsitems

    • September 2020 Residents’ Association meeting minutes
      • 6 Oct 2020
      • Pukerua Bay Residents Association
      • Tuesday, September 8, 2020Pukerua Bay RSA, 5-7 Wairaka Road Present: Paul FitzGerald (Chair), Nikky Winchester (Secretary), Iain MacLean, Kate Dreaver, Pauline Morum, Jonathan Harker, Margaret Blair, Mel Galletly, Bill Jackson, Nathan Waddle (PCC), Josh Trlin (PCC)Community: Glenda Robb, Whetu Bennett ( WREMO), Moira Lawler, Sara Thomson, Pat Hanley, Alan Clarke, Gillian CandlerApologies: June Penhey, Jenny Brash (GWRC)Approval of previous minutes: moved Iain MacLean, seconded Kate Dreaver, none opposed, carried. Penguin survey Glenda Robb from the Kapiti Coast Biodiversity Project explained that they have received funding to do surveys on little blue penguins in Pukerua Bay. September to December is their nesting time. They use two methods: on sandy beaches, they look for footprints in the sand early in the morning; or they use a specially-trained dog to sniff them out (this is particularly good on non-sandy beaches). Leaflets will be circulated along Ocean Parade, Beach Road and Hanui Road in the next week. There is also a trapping programme along the beach to remove predators such as rats and stoats. The hope is that a large enough population will be found that a programme can be put in place to protect them and ideally increase their numbers over time. The survey will take place in the next few weeks (weather dependent). There are groups elsewhere in the country doing similar work to protect their local korora populations. Gillian pointed out that the dog walking area on the beach is right by where there are penguin nests. Glenda suggested it may be worth lobbying PCC to make it a dog-free area, though it is difficult to get such a status. It was noted that there is still an ongoing problem of enforcement, which is not helped by the fact that there are no signs on the beach asking people to keep dogs on the leash. Action: Iain to contact Brent Tandy at DOC re signage.Action: Glenda to circulate link to a webcam in a nesting box in Paekakariki.Action: Committee to circulate flyers to other parts of the village in October with the AGM notices. Porirua City Council update Nathan explained that the District Plan was activated and is now available for people to feed back on by 20 November. PCC is approaching each Residents Association in the city to invite responses. Josh is on the Climate Change working group, which is looking at updating their terms of reference. The group currently has representatives from each of the GWRC councils plus Mana Whenua. Two big changes are being proposed: bringing in an accountability mechanism to ensure action and follow through; and providing capacity to have Mana Whenua representatives from all six iwi in the region. He noted that PCC is also starting to organise workshops for consultation on the Long Term Plan. Wellington Regional Emergency Management Office (WREMO) Whetu Bennett is the WREMO community resilience adviser in Porirua. He congratulated Pukerua Bay for our village’s response to the Covid-19 lockdown. Whetu focuses on high priority areas in the city (Whitby and Waitangirua) but is available to answer questions and provide support. He can run workshops on planning and preparing for emergencies, as well as earthquake drills. He helps PCC identify areas that they can assist with, and currently he is looking to find a location in Pukerua Bay for a new 25,000 litre water tank. There are already community water tanks at the school and the library. In case of a civil emergency, the local WREMO operations centre is in Elsdon. Emergency Assistance Centres provide support such as a nurse and social worker. However, it is likely to take at least eight days to get those set up. In the meantime, Pukerua Bay would need to be self-sufficient. Kate explained that there is a need to refresh the Civil Defence plan for the village. Whetu is happy to work with a local team to update it and also to help run a workshop to introduce residents to the updated plan. WebsiteAction: Kate/Iain/Paul/Jon to discuss edit requirements for Covid-19 page.Action: Paul to put a tshirt in the noticeboard to encourage sales.Action: Iain to talk to Archway Books about selling tote bags. Financial 00 AccountExpenses: $164.06 Surfers’ Seat $159.28 Muzzy – T-shirtsIncome: $76.70 Teas, cakes, plants at Community Garden Open Day $0.64 Interest 25 AccountIncome: $0.14 Interest Correspondence A message was received from Annette on 27 August regarding composting at the community garden. Paul has since talked to her. Progress on action items Action: Bill/Jon to discuss options for cloud storage.Action: Jon to add the information about the 25 memorials around the village to the RA website once Margaret has collected the information.Action:Pauline/Iain/Kate to continue investigating options for organising an art auction in November/December.Action: Margaret to remove Brian Sullivan and Pauline Morse as signatories from the PKBRA bank account as they are no longer committee members.Action: Margaret/Nikky to discuss the process for adding Nikky to the list of signatories.Action: Iain/Paul to ask PCC to send their monthly updates to secretary@ and chair@ and remove all other names from their mailing list.Action: Jon to ask Dave Pepperell about posting information on the website about the Surfers Seat event.Action: Margaret to organise the seat plaque for Ernie Amey and Kath Fowler.Action: Iain to look for name of DOC contact person re the installation of new signage about keeping dogs on a lead at the beach.Action: Bill to investigate possibility of recycling computer equipment. E-Waste Services have recently moved to 1 Prosser Street, 04 564 5464. They accept anything with a plug that is electronic. You can drop off or they will pick up. They also recycle polystyrene. Projects update Muri Platform building The updated lease is sitting in the Kiwirail office in Wellington Station and can’t be accessed until we move into Level 1 lockdown. The opening went well. However, some work is still required to fit the panels accurately. The event was led by representatives from Ngāti Toa who did a significant blessing of the community garden as well as the building. Thanks to Jane Comben for the design work and to Ted Coates for mowing and tidying up along the platform. The community garden group offered hot drinks and sausages, and there was also storytelling. Action: Margaret to provide appropriate details on the event to Jon for website. Village Plan review Kate met with Justine from PCC. While PCC are keen to help with our village planning review; however, with the pause on capital funding and the pause on the village planning programme, it may be difficult to get financial support from them. The Village Plan team need to write a brief explanation of the purpose of the village plan, and how we intend to engage with the community in an ongoing way over the coming decades. The hope is to still get some funding from PCC for the survey, but the timing for launching the survey will be delayed. Community centre Action: Iain to talk to the Diocese about their intentions for St Mark’s building. Annual General Meeting Date: Thursday 22 October, 7.30-9pm at the Community and School Hall. The School Newsletter is going out on 24 September. Action: Paul to ask school to include AGM notice and kororā survey leaflet in newsletter. Programme Glenda – penguin surveyGillian – litter surveyPlimmerton Farm developer?Friends of Taupo Swamp?Village Planning survey There was some discussion about whether to organise a supper. This depends on the Lockdown level at the time, so a decision will need to be made nearer to the date of the meeting. Proposed amendments to Rules There was some discussion about whether the RA should actively be advocating for local businesses. It was suggested that the Village Planning survey include a question, and that the Rules may be reconsidered after the survey has been completed. The other proposed changes were discussed. Action: Paul/Nikky to rewrite and present via email for approval by the Committee so the amendments can be circulated to the community at least 14 days before the AGM. Other business Action: Committee to read through the draft Committee handbook and discuss in more detail at the October meeting. Meeting ended: 9.54pmNext meeting: 13 October 2020 Appendix: Village Planning update from PCC He Are Pukerua The uncovering of the latest heritage panels last Saturday at the former Muri Station Southbound was a great time for celebrating and sharing the history of railways in Pukerua Bay. The research and writing the team has undertaken (especially Ashley and Margaret Blair) is an outstanding commitment to bring this heritage to the community. The final installation within the available remaining village planning budget for this project will be the wide format heritage station along Centennial Highway, celebrating the construction of the road. The structure is now in place and just needs the panels fixed to the frame later in the year. Ara Harakeke shared pathway extension After the success of widening the footpath from the shops to the overbridge, NZTA have asked if PCC could consider widening the section from Haunui Road to SH1 near Ted Coates’ house with 100% funding. PCC’s construction partner Mills & Albert are currently costing the proposal. When the costed proposal has been received, it has to be submitted to NZTA for their internal processes to evaluate and decide if it is a suitable project for funding. PCC will let us know when the costing is submitted. Community food forest It was great to see the renovations now underway again following the COVID 19 lockdown on the former northbound Muri Station building. Please keep all receipts for the materials, as they need to be submitted to Council before 31December for accounting purposes. Pukerua Bay community hub initiatives This project – which focuses on creating opportunities for community connections – has an operational budget allocation of $4,750 to support initial research and a local programme of activities. PCC are looking forward to working on this initiative in a way that aligns with broader village planning objectives.
      • Accepted from Pukerua Bay Residents Association feed 1 month ago by feedreader
      • Tagged as:
      • recycling
      • kapiti
      • porirua
      • penguins
      • consultation
      • covid-19
      • pukerua-bay
      • libraries

    • August 2020 Residents Association meeting minutes
      • 6 Sep 2020
      • Pukerua Bay Residents Association
      • Tuesday, August 11, 2020Pukerua Bay RSA, 5-7 Wairaka Road Present: Paul FitzGerald (Chair), Nikky Winchester (Secretary), Iain McLean, Kate Dreaver, June Penhey, Margaret Blair, Mel Galletly, Bill Jackson, Nathan Waddle (PCC)Community: Pat Hanley, Moira LawlerApologies: Pauline Morum, Jonathan Harker, Jenny Brash (GWRC)Approval of previous minutes: moved Iain McLean, seconded Bill Jackson, none opposed, carried. Porirua City Council update Nathan explained that the District Plan has been approved, and PCC is now taking feedback and submissions on it; it will go into action in early 2021. PCC is about to start running workshops on the Long Term Plan. A workshop is being held tomorrow with NZTA regarding the plans for revocation of SH1 and SH58 post-Transmission Gully. Matters arising Iain, Kate and Nikky met to discuss the Village Planning survey. Kate has since talked to PCC about whether they will pay for design, advertising and printing. The hope is to get the survey circulated soon, and to organise a drop-in session one Saturday at St Mark’s. The intention is to present the results at this year’s AGM. Financial $0.14 interest has been received this month. Correspondence No correspondence has been received. Progress on action items Action: Bill/Jon to discuss options for cloud storage. The Committee confirmed a strong preference to use a free public service, rather than a paid service. Action: Jon to add the information about the 25 memorials around the village to the RA website once Margaret has collected the information.Action:Jon and Pauline will meet as the new Fundraising committee, and present proposals to the Committee.Action:Pauline/Iain/Kate to continue investigating options for organising a silent art auction in November/December.Action:Margaret to remove Brian Sullivan and Pauline Morse as signatories from the PKBRA bank account as they are no longer committee members.Action: Margaret/Nikky to discuss the process for adding Nikky to the list of signatories.Action: Paul to write a proposal about amendments to the RA Constitution.Action: Iain/Paul to ask PCC to send their monthly updates to secretary@ and chair@ and remove all other names from their mailing list.Action: Jon to ask Dave Pepperell about posting information on the website about the Surfers Seat event.Action: Jon to create a page for He Ara Pukerua on the RA website.Action: Margaret to organise the seat plaque for Ernie Amey and Kath Fowler. Projects update Muri Platform building The signed lease papers have not yet been received back from Kiwirail confirming the lease. This should be in hand before the official launch event on 5 September. Action: Iain/Paul to follow up with Kiwirail. Food forest/community garden and He Ara Pukerua The Muri Station platform building and panels will be formally opened by the Mayor on Saturday 5 September at a launch commencing at 10.30am, followed up with tours around the food forest, where entertainment and refreshments will be available. Paul has asked PCC if the trees around the platform can be trimmed in advance of the event. Action: Jon to create a page on the RA website. Penguin survey Pauline Morum forwarded an email from Glenda Robb at the Kapiti Coast Biodiversity Project. A survey will be carried out in late September with a penguin dog, to track the local little blue penguins. Glenda has offered to do a brief talk at the September Committee meeting. Action: Paul to respond to Glenda and invite her to talk at the Committee meeting on 8 September.Action: Jon/Nikky to promote meeting/talk online.Action: Iain to look for name of DOC contact person re the installation of new signage about keeping dogs on a lead at the beach. Waste Free PKB Waste Free PKB’s collections have been extended to include metal beer bottle caps and wine bottle tops, metal jar lids, metal and plastic drink bottle tops, milk bottle caps, bread tags, can tabs, eyeglasses, facial skincare product packaging (plastic and glass containers plus lids, droppers and other complex closures), and writing instruments (including pens, felt tip pens, highlighters, markers, mechanical pencils and correction fluid – but not wooden pencils and chalk). This is in addition to the collections that have been in place since January 2019, which includes oral health products (toothbrushes, clean and empty toothpaste tubes and dental floss containers), AA and AAA batteries, and a number of different brands of coffee capsules. Action: Bill to investigate possibility of recycling computer equipment. AGM The AGM needs to be held in October, probably after the October committee meeting (scheduled for 13 October). It was suggested that Glenda Robb be asked to present the results of the penguin survey. Action: Paul to investigate a suitable date for using the School and Community Hall. Other business NZTA are keen to further extend Ara Harakeke; the next stage is from Pukerua Beach Road along SH1. A surveyor will be considering a possible route so as to avoid the slope and zigzag. Meeting ended: 8.25pmNext meeting: 8 September 2020
      • Accepted from Pukerua Bay Residents Association feed 2 months ago by tonytw1
      • Tagged as:
      • transmissiongully
      • recycling
      • kapiti
      • porirua
      • penguins
      • pukerua-bay

    • Wellington sewing initiative Re Sew remakes the suffrage petition
      • 24 Sep 2018
      • St Vincent de Paul Society Wellington
      • Photo by: ELEANOR WENMAN/STUFF Over the last couple of weeks, an old boardroom inside Wellington Museum has been transformed into a fabric workshop. Wellington sewing initiative Vinnies Re Sew embarked on a Suffrage in Stitches project to recreate the 1893 suffrage petition in kind. The organisation is asking individuals and groups to pick up needle and thread to stitch 546 different panels, representing all the pages of the suffrage petition. Each panel will be stitched together to create a 274 metre long textile piece, to be displayed inside the museum early next year. Vinnies Re Sew textile recycling coordinator Caroline O'Reilly with some of the completed panels for the Suffrage in Stitches project being run in Wellington Museum. The panels are inspired by women – whether that's women that signed the petition 125 years ago, or someone within the family that was a role model. Re Sew textile recycling coordinator Caroline O'Reilly has been organising the workshops, as well as making her own panel, inspired by her mother, Mary O'Reilly. O'Reilly created her own panel with green thread in honour of her mother, Mary O'Reilly. She also wanted to chart the journeys of the women on the path to gather signatures, so she added meandering green thread to her piece of fabric. "The petition went around the country, winding up roads, through valleys. So all these loose threads represent all the roads they travelled on." Throughout September people had been dropping by Wellington Museum to talk about women who inspired them and pick up a new stitching technique or two. "People who haven't even thought they were creative have come up with some great things," O'Reilly said. Re Sew volunteer Irihāpeti Te Aho had dropped by the workshop to start on her fifth panel: one honouring the wāhine of Ngāti Kahungunu. "Women have got a strong voice in Māoridom that people don't know about," Te Aho said. She joined Vinnies Re Sew a few months ago and said she'd found it a great way to help and give back to the community. Funded by Saint Vincent de Paul, Vinnies Re Sew works to upskill people with their sewing skills, while redirecting materials from the landfill. The call is still out for people to take part in Suffrage in Stitches – the fabric workshops will be back at Wellington Museum in October, December and January for a week each. So far, people from as far as Queenstown and the Coromandel, as well as some people in San Francisco have put their hands up to make a panel. The deadline to have a fabric panel in is February 27. * For details on Suffrage in Stitches, email resew@vinnieswgtn.org.nz. - Stuff Reporter: Eleanor Wenman Permalink
      • Accepted from Vinnies news 18 months ago by feedreader
      • Tagged as:
      • recycling

    • A Sustainable Society
      • 10 Sep 2018
      • St Vincent de Paul Society Wellington
      • While the use of recycling in sustainable living is sometimes seen as an extra (and often avoided) financial burden, over the last year Vinnies in Wellington has made efforts to prove the opposite, by opting for low-cost methods of waste disposal.
      • Accepted from Vinnies news 18 months ago by feedreader
      • Tagged as:
      • recycling


1 - 30 of 66


Related sites

Geotagged

More...

Latest Newsitems

The latest newslog items.